- Retired IAS from Tripura cadre-Radha Krishna Mathur became the new chief information commissioner of India, replacing Vijai Sharma.
- Usually among the information Commissioner (IC), one guy gets “promoted” to CIC. But this time government brought in a new “fresh” CIC, who has not served as an IC.
- CIC term limit is 5 years or 65 age; not eligible for re-appointment.
- CIC is selected by a panel of PM, 1 union Cabinet Minister, leader of single largest opposition party.
- CIC is appointed by the President of India.
- Pawan Kumar Agarwal becomes CEO of Food safety and standards authority of India (FSSAI).
- SC appointed this Lokayukta of UP by using extraordinary powers under Article 142 of the Constitution to enforce its own orders : Justice Virendra Singh
- (BJP) MP and cricketer from Punjab – he is appointed as a member of the National Commission for Minorities : Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Kerala cadre IAS Amitabh Kant takes additional charge as Niti Ayoa CEO since Sindushree Khullar retired . NITI Ayog CEO
- India’s high Commissioner to Pakistan: Gautam H.Bambawale
- India’s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia: IPS officer and ex-Mumbai police commissioner Ahmed Javed.
|§ BHEL commissioned 520 MW Vizag thermal power plant in Andhra Pradesh|
|§ National Youth Day observed on 12 January to mark birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda|
|§ Illumina, Bill Gates & Jeff Bezos launched startup GRAIL to develop blood-based cancer tests|
|§ Binny Bansal appointed as CEO of Flipkart|
|§ Devender Kumar Sikri took oath as the Chairman of Competition Commission of India|
|§ 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas held in New Delhi|
|§ Nepal elected as UNICEF’s executive board member for 2016-2018|
|§ Milos Raonic won 2016 Brisbane International Tennis men’s singles trophy|
|§ Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis won Brisbane Tennis trophy|
|§ CIRB became India’s second centre to produce a cloned buffalo|
|§ China launched Gaofen-4 dual-use geostationary satellite|
|§ IUPAC announced addition of Four Elements to complete Seventh row of Periodic Table|
|§ Pandorum Technologies developed India’s first Artificial Liver Tissue using 3D printing|
|§ UN adopted resolution to observe 5 November as World Tsunami Awareness Day|